The Historical House

Historic Beaverbrook House

historic houseThe Historic Beaverbrook House was built in 1877 as a home for renowned shipbuilder and merchant, William Watt. The Second Empire style building was sold in 1879 to the Presbyterian congregation, who would use the building as a manse for their local minister.

In 1880, Reverend William Cuthbert Aitken, his wife Jane and their 5 children arrived from Maple, Ontario to reside in the house. Subsequent ministers and their families used the manse until Lord Beaverbrook bought it in 1952.

Lord Beaverbrook purchased the building from the St. James United Church and after renovating it; gave it to the Town of Newcastle as the area’s first Public Library. Beaverbrook named the library the Old Manse Library. A new library which opened in 1992 on the Newcastle waterfront, near the old town hall, replaced the Old Manse Library. Since then the Old Manse has been used as a historical property.

Group Tours
Tours can be arranged for groups of up to 20 people, by appointment. We encourage schools and organizations to bring youth to tour the Historic Beaverbrook House and learn more about this influential man who grew up right here in Miramichi.

OPEN-JUNE THROUGH SEPTEMBER
Monday to Saturday – 9 am to 5 pm , Sunday – 1 pm to 5 pm. GENERAL TOUR FEE $5.00
Off Season: Please call for an appointment

The original parlour.
The original parlour.

The Old Manse Library
The Old Manse Library

The parlour today.
The parlour today.

Historic Beaverbrook House
Childhood home of Lord Beaverbrook

Portrait in header of website by Robert Carter
www.crackedhat.com

518 King George Highway
Miramichi, NB E1N 1N2

Website Design and Support by

Tel: (506) 622-5572
Email: beaverbrookhouse@nb.aibn.com